London, United Kingdom
10 months ago
Role: Associate Inspector
As a member of the audit quality review (AQR) team, successful candidates will participate in reviews of the Big 4 and other audit firms dealing with senior partners and staff at those firms. AQR work covers both inspections of individual audits and reviews of firm-wide arrangements to support audit quality and meet ethical requirements. AQR also periodically undertakes thematic inspections which focus on particular aspects of audit across a sample of audits and firms.
The role provides a unique insight into how the major firms operate and how they are responding to current issues in the profession and the changes in regulatory requirements. Successful candidates will have the satisfaction of being able to influence the practices and procedures of the major audit firms to enhance quality. They will be given responsibility (under supervision) for significant elements of major audits and other projects relevant to the regulation of auditors, including:
- Participating in regular meetings and ongoing discussions with audit team members including senior partners for major audits and other projects
- Making an assessment of the work carried out on major audits. This includes the appropriateness of judgements made on key audit and accounting issues and the sufficiency and appropriateness of the audit evidence obtained
- Communicating findings on the individual audits reviewed to the relevant audit firms and the Audit Committee Chair. There are also opportunities to contribute to the individual firm and thematic inspection reports which summarise the results of AQR’s inspection activities
- Undertaking firm-wide procedures and thematic inspections. These are wide-ranging in nature and include an assessment of the firms’ processes and audit methodologies and the impact these have on audit quality
An accounting qualification coupled with membership of ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or ICAI (or equivalent) are required. Experience at Audit Manager level or above in public practice is essential, with experience working in a large UK audit firm preferred. The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong technical auditing and accounting skills (including a good knowledge of IFRS)
- Recent experience of auditing UK listed companies and/ or other major entities
- Strong written skills with the ability to express points in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent oral communication skills with the confidence and the ability to engage with and, where appropriate, challenge the judgements made by senior partners and engagement teams
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical skills and ability
- Effective project management skills with the ability and confidence to work autonomously
- Experience of working in highly effective teams
The role is based in our central London office and at the London offices of the major firms. Flexible working arrangements will be considered, including occasional working from home where practicable.
Rewards and benefits
- We offer competitive remuneration packages, including 30 days annual leave plus ability to buy extra leave.
- We have a strong work/life balance ethos.