up to £61k
about 1 month ago
Senior Software Engineer
51k to 61K
The purpose of this role is to help develop our technical capabilities and product strategy, looking ahead over a three-to-five year horizon and to explore how new technology can enhance scientific discovery, student learning, and scholarly publishing. The role will evangelise the potential of technology throughout, by disseminating knowledge about emerging technologies and by demonstrating what is possible and will support the building of a technology literate culture, where staff throughout build their confidence and competance
in understanding technology and digital product opportunities. The role will also encourage the adoption of high quality engineering practices across the company.
● Rapidly evaluate new and emerging technologies through the building of prototypes and proofs of concept.
● Test novel product ideas.
● Exploring the potential of maturing technologies such as machine learning, augmented data discovery, VR, and robot cats in addressing product challenges.
● Disseminate lessons learnt about these technologies and experiments across the department and across the company more widely using appropriate channels
● Build good relationships between the PI department and other areas that we are looking at technical experimentation.
● Assist in coordinating time outs within the PI department.
● Work closely with product managers, innovation lab staff, and other employees to gather feedback on prototypes, including overall effectiveness, potential use cases, and other applicability information.
● Help identify new technologies and product ideas for prototyping, and assess feasibility of ideas before development to focus prototyping around ideas with the greatest potential
● Manage the idea backlog, and work with Innovation Lab managers to prioritise and select prototypes for development
● For technologies that we don't have in-house skills to evaluate, find appropriate partners to work with for these kinds of evaluations
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent real world experience
● Experience developing software products and services, including frontend and backend development.
● Experience working in an Agile development environment
● Excellent communication and presentation skills a must
● Knowledge of scholarly publishing and scientific research workflows beneficial
● Experience developing and operating production applications in at least one modern programming language, such as Python, Java, C#, Kotlin.
● Experience with cloud-based providers, such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure
● Experience building RESTful APIs for web applications and back end processes
● Experience designing for and using a variety of data store technologies, including traditional RDBMS and NoSQL. Knowledge of the problems that different storage technologies solve.
● Experience working with more specialised Information Retrieval technologies such as
SOLR, ElasticSearch, Neo4J, or MarkLogic would be preferred.
● Knowledge of data processing, transformation, and analysis (such as ETL tasks, XSLT), and exposure to a variety of data formats with XML, JSON, CSV as a minimum.
● Ability to write and evaluate regular expressions, and knowledge of how to apply them effectively.
This job description is not contractual. To perform this role successfully, you must be able to perform each of the key accountabilities satisfactorily. To meet changes in business operational, procedural or technical requirements we may add, remove or amend/change the accountabilities for this role and you should be aware that this job description is not exhaustive and you may be asked to undertake reasonable tasks and activities outside those for which you are primarily employed.
We are committed to Diversity and Inclusion and is an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.