London, United Kingdom
about 1 year ago
Role: Team Senior Inspector
As a member of the audit quality review (AQR) team, successful candidates will participate in reviews of and overseeing reviews at the Big 4 and other audit firms, dealing with senior partners and staff at those firms. AQR work covers both inspections of individual audits and reviews of firm-wide arrangements to support audit quality and meet ethical requirements. AQR also periodically undertakes thematic inspections which focus on particular aspects of audit across a sample of audits and firms.
The role provides a unique insight into how the major firms operate and how they are responding to current issues in the profession and the changes in regulatory requirements. Successful candidates will have the satisfaction of being able to influence the practices and procedures of the major audit firms to enhance quality. They will be given responsibility for significant elements of projects relevant to the regulation of auditors, including:
- Leading and contributing to key meetings with senior personnel at the audit firms.
- Challenging the appropriateness of key judgements made on key audit and accounting issues and the quality of the work performed in a confident and balanced manner
- Delegation to, supervision of and oversight of team inspectors
- Assessing the quality of the work carried out on major audits
- Communicating findings on the individual audits reviewed to the relevant audit firms and the Audit Committee Chair
- Undertaking firm-wide procedures and thematic inspections. These are wide-ranging in nature and include an assessment of the firms’ processes and audit methodologies and the impact these have on audit quality
- Building constructive and professional relationships with senior management and teams at the audit firms in an environment which can be challenging and potentially confrontational
An accounting qualification coupled with membership of ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or ICAI (or equivalent) are required. Experience at Audit Director or above in public practice is essential with experience working in a large UK audit firm preferred. The ideal candidate will have:
- Recent experience of leading audits on UK listed companies and/ or other major entities
- Very strong technical auditing and accounting skills (including a good knowledge of IFRS)
- Excellent analytical skills and can quickly evaluate a significant amount of information, understand the bigger picture and identify what is really important
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to evaluate a significant amount of information in an objective and balanced manner
- Excellent oral communication skills with the confidence and the ability to challenge the judgements made by senior partners and engagement teams.
- Exceptional report writing skills. Can express issues in a clear, balanced and concise manner
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to quickly establish credibility, and influence at senior levels at the audit firms.
- Experience at managing the resolution of sensitive issues and can persuade senior personnel to accept and act on points raised
- Exceptional project management skills
- Experience of leading highly effective teams and recognises when it is appropriate to consult with /involve others
- Strong understanding of the regulatory and audit environment
Rewards and benefits
- We offer competitive remuneration packages, including 30 days annual leave plus ability to buy extra leave.
- We have a strong work/life balance ethos.